Acne is a common skin problem that is mostly caused due to hormonal changes. But what you are not aware of is that few things that you do on a day-to-day basis can also make acne worse. No! Do not blame it on your diet as there is no clear evidence of its role in making acne worse. But the way you take care of your skin can have a BIG effect on the skin. Here are few things that can aggravate acne.
1. Washing your face more than twice a day: Most people with acne think that washing the face six to seven times a day can help get rid of acne. But this is not true because, excess scrubbing or washing can break open the pored, which in turn damage your skin and make acne worse.
Also, when washing the face use warm and not hot water. Replace chemical-based soaps with gentle non-soap facial skin cleanser, which are effective in removing dead skin cells.
2. Picking or squeezing your pimples: This is a strict no-no as it can not only worsen acne but also damage the skin leading to swelling and scarring. Moreover, it can also increase the risk of infection due to skin lesions.
3. Using oil-based make-up products: Pimples are caused when the skin pores get clogged with dead skin and oil, which also cause bacterial build up. And using oil-based make-up products on the inflamed skin can make things worse.
4. Not using a moisturizer: As acne is caused due to oily skin, most of us believe that applying a moisturizer can further worsen it. However, use of a moisturizer is known to minimize the dryness and peeling of the skin peeling, which are common side effects of acne treatment. Hence, use moisturizers that are labeled as “noncomedogenic” as these are less likely to block skin pores.
5. Excessive exposure to the sunlight: Certain treatments for acne can increase the skin’s sensitivity to the sunlight. And not using a sunscreen to protect against the harmful sun rays can damage the skin. Hence, it is important to avoid sun exposure and also use a broad-spectrum sunscreen to prevent acne from getting worse.
6. Being stressed: Yes, stress can also impact your skin and worsen acne due to its effect on the hormones. Try any stress relief therapy that works for you such as yoga, meditation, dance, music or art.